Interview with Stefania Nazzal
1) Tell me a bit about yourself ? Your background and origins?
Born in 1976 in Geneva, Switzerland, Nazzal is originally of Greek and Italian descent. A student of the ‘Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne’, and now a mother of 3, living in Dubai, my passion for art emerged in 1998 while on an internship in the painting department with Mrs Caroline Lang of Sothebys, Geneva. This passion remained with me through my career in marketing, where I was an Account Director for Publicis Dubai and then Regional Marketing manager (MENA) for PZ Cussons in 2006.
It is in 2008 that I fully dedicated myself to painting and artistic pursuits. My creations stem from a mix of self-taught process, two years in Cyprus Academy of Art, intense programs St-Martins college of Art, London, UK and an ongoing mentoring programme with Phd Egyptian artist Riham El Sadany.
2) How are you enjoying your life in Dubai? What are your favorite addresses in Dubai?
Dubai life is great for the time being as I always feel on holidays here and a great mix of many different cultures!
My favorites spots:
Alserkal avenue where all the galleries are and my favorite organic food shop ‘Wild & the Moon’.
Also a great cultural spot filled with local heritage is Al Bastakiya on Dubai Creek.
3) What made you decide you wanted to become an artist? Do you have a mentor?
Since a young age my favorite hobby was to color!
Art has always been my passion but it really emerged in 1998 while on an internship in the painting department of Sothebys, Geneva. It is only in 2008 that I fully dedicated myself to painting and artistic pursuits. Creation stems from a mix of self-taught process, a foundation course in Cyprus Academy of Art, a few courses in St-Martins college of Art, London, UK and an ongoing mentoring program with PHD major Egyptian painter Riham El Sadany.
4. What inspires you as an artist? And at this moment?
Childhood memories / old cartoons or movies. Go back in time, go back to this state of mind but with an adult perspective.
At the moment inspired by the study of colors and light.
5) What are you working on? Which is your favorite piece from your Art work ?
Following my last show in Bruxelles in October 2019, I am continuing to explore the same concept:
Inspired by the study of colors and light, based on Newton’s findings on the spectrum wheel, specifically the rainbow phenomenon which I was drawn into since a young age, these artworks represent me at that point of time – An ability to rediscover my child like state with an adult eye on it.
Constructing and deconstructing colors from their natural environment, analyzing the impact and behavior they have between each other, always using the 7 base colors.
(Using PVC strings also known as scoubidou as a material).
3 Favorite pieces so far; would be ‘Spectrum I’ & II (which you own one of them :)) and ‘Once Upon a Time’
Elegance for me is a balance between being graceful in the way you carry yourself and in appearance.
6) What advice would you give to a woman who aspires to become an artist?
Just throw yourself out there, believe in yourself and see where it takes you.
7) What seduces you about jewelry?
The purity of a diamond and colored stones that are formed by nature. I studied the origin of a raw diamond and stones and it is the most fascinating thing . Specially when the light hits them. Which comes back to the prism theory of Isaac newton.
8) What is your jewelry pet peeve or you would never be caught dead in…?!
Having too much at once / I believe more into one statement piece kind of thing. 12 /14 carat yellow gold color !!
9) Define elegance and which woman do you admire in your entourage? And who do you look up to in terms of public figure?
Elegance for me is a balance between being graceful in the way you carry yourself and in appearance. In my entourage I would say a friend of mine , Susanna, she is Finnish and has a pilates studio practice Called ‘ Pure Pilates ‘.
Public figure I would say Sophia Lauren/ Blake Lively / Bella Hadid
10) Nomad Jewels collection, Enchantments of the Orient, what does it evoke to you? Which piece would you choose as your talisman?
1) The stars / Mystery // Gold and sand / Oud (instrument)
2) An old movie drama ‘Angelique et le Sultan’ (1967) with Michele Mercier. Used to love this movie when I was a teen!
Funny to see I ended up in Dubai …
11) When you travel how do you pick which jewelry pieces to bring with you and which ones do you never leave without?
Usually depends on my outfits and depending on the season
But never leave without some statement / cocktail rings
12) What do you wear when you travel?
As much as possible on me so I dont get anything stolen or lost luggage etc LOL
13) Your next destination on your bucket list?